Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Acton Lake: The Eaglets Are Coming

3 April 2015

Lake# 14 Acton Lake, Hueston Woods State Park, Preble and Butler Counties

My trip to Acton Lake coincided with a deluge of rain being dumped on southwestern Ohio. I got lucky and was able to squeeze in a couple hours of paddling on Acton Lake between storms. The 625-acre lake is located within the nearly 3,000-acre Hueston Woods State Park. The park is approximately 7 miles north of Oxford, 35 miles southwest of Dayton, and 40 miles northwest of Cincinnati. The lake is accessible by State Routes 177, 732, and 725 and US Route 27. Acton Lake’s only boat ramp is located on the south shore near the far west corner of the lake.

I entered the park from State Route 177 and Camden-College Corner Road. This allowed me to go over the Hueston Woods Bridge, which is located between Buck Paxton Road and Hedge Row Road. The covered bridge while not old, it was built in 2012, is picturesque and worth a visit. The bridge spans 108 feet over Four Mile Creek. It has 6 foot covered walkways on each side allowing for safe viewing of the creek.
Hueston Woods Bridge 
The Main Loop Road entering the park was partly flooded and an indication of how I would find the southwestern lakes on my schedule for the Easter weekend.  The 62 foot high earthen dam constructed in 1956 on Four Mile Creek is currently under repair. A two year, $15 million dollar project to stop seepage began in May 2014. A temporary dam is in place to allow the lake to stay open at normal water levels while the original dam is repaired one section at a time. I was unable to get a photo of the dam, which is located at the southeast edge of the lake, as it is a restricted construction zone. I wonder if a temporary dam could be used on Buckeye Lake; the much larger size of Buckeye Dam might make a temporary dam impossible.  
Almost Washed Out Camden-College Corner Road
High Water Levels on Hedge Row Road
Heading Towards Main Loop Road
Mini History lesson: the lake created by damming Four Mile Creek was named in honor of State Representative Cloyd B. Acton who prior to his death had worked to influence the state to buy the land in 1941 and create the park. In turn, the park was named after Mathew Hueston, who originally bought the land in the area back in 1797. Hueston had five daughters and four sons; the last of the Huestons died in the 1930s. At that time, Morris Taylor, a conservationist, purchased the land and held it in trust until the state could buy it. The land included 200 acres of virgin timber. I feel bad for Mr. Taylor because he didn’t get anything named after him; even though, his actions helped to preserve the land that became Hueston Woods State Park. Just doesn’t seem fair. In 1967, the old-growth forest of primarily beech and sugar maples was added to the National Registry of National Landmarks and became a state nature preserve in 1973. Today, visitors can walk the American Discovery Trail through the Hueston Woods State Nature Preserve. If you go, give a little thanks to Morris Taylor.
Hueston Woods State Nature Preserve
The lake has a single boat launch which is located on the south shore of the lake near its western edge. There is a marina located here with a snack bar, bait shop, boats for rent (pontoon, motorboats, rowboats, canoes and paddle boats), and restrooms with running water. Of course, none were open the day I was there. Acton Lake has average depths of 6 to 20 feet. It starts out shallow and marshy at its lower north end, but gets up to 30 feet deep at its spillway. Acton Lake is a 10-hp limit lake. There is currently a pilot program in effect through the summer of 2015 at many state park lakes, Acton is one, which is allowing boats out on the water regardless of engine size with the restriction that they don’t create wake. As a kayaker, I am not a fan of this pilot program. I do not believe that most of the larger boats will stick to the restriction. I have been in no wake zones on many lakes where motorized boaters were not following the restrictions so I envision more of the same.  There is a hydraulic dredging boat working near the marina; perhaps it is making it deeper for larger boats to use.
Acton Lake Boat Ramps
Acton Lake Marina

Nice Bathroom But Locked
Dredging At Acton Lake
When I get out on a new lake the first thing I do is go hunting for its nooks and crannies. Those are the best spots for bird watching and discovering what is hidden from larger boats. My first side trip on Acton Lake was heading to the far west of the lake toward the group camping site. I came upon some Canadian Geese and bothered them a bit. They can be so annoying that I don’t feel guilty making them fly.
Shallows to the West of the Boat Launch
Canadian Geese Hideout

The Three Stooges 
Away They Go
Acton Lake After Heavy Rain, A Lot of Natural Debris in the Water
Next, I headed to the far northwest corner of the lake with hopes of spotting the eagle’s nest. Acton Lake has three resident eagles: mom-Liberty, dad-Sundance, and their juvenile eagle-Ace. My duck for this lake is a bunny duck for Easter weekend. I decided to christen him Ace in honor of the juvenile eagle that is about to become a big brother. I did not see any eagles while I was out on the water but I did see signs posted along the water warning to stay away from nesting. It turns out that those signs are from last year and that this year the eagles are nesting on the opposite side of the finger. I learned this after kayaking. Pat Bell, an eagle watcher and fantastic photographer, was set up at the marina when I came in from paddling. He had a camera set up with a high power zoom lens focused on the eagle nest. He let me look through it and I got to see Liberty sitting on the nest. Pat was gracious to share his knowledge with me. There are eggs in the nest and they could hatch at any time. You can see some of Pat’s wonderful photographs of eagles and other birds at the park at the Hueston Woods Facebook page.   
Northwest Corner of Acton Lake
On the Hunt for Eagle Nest
Meet Ace, Acton Lake's Baby Duck
Endangered Species Warning Sign
In addition to Canadian Geese, I saw American Coots out on the open water. I have a hard time getting a decent photograph of them with my phone camera because they are shy and fast swimmers. From the water, I was able to view some of the rental cottages and the park lodge. Hueston Woods State Park has 37 cottages: 25 two bedroom, 10 one bedroom, and 2 premier cottages. The lodge has 92 rooms, an indoor and outdoor pool, a game room, and lighted tennis courts. 
More Canadian Geese
Heading East Towards Dam
Storm Clouds Over Acton Lake
Trying to Get Close to the American Coots
View of Cottages from the Water
Hueston Woods State Park Lodge From Water
After paddling, I went to the lodge and ate my packed lunch in one of the windowed alcoves over looking the lake. I visited the gift shop and bought my daughter a cute pen. I checked out the cottages before I left the park. These cottages have more privacy and are in a prettier setting than the cottages at most state parks. Hueston Woods also has camping: there are 252 campsites with electrical outlets, 236 non-electric campsites, and 25 equestrian ones. I didn’t personally check out the campsites as it was pouring and I was ready to head to my hotel near my next day’s paddling.
Hueston Woods State Park Lodge From Land
This Is Just the Way My Daughter Likes Her Marshmallows Toasted 
The Cottage I Plan to Stay in on My Next Visit to Hueston Woods
In addition to boating, there are many things you can do at Hueston Woods. There is a nice swimming beach, a nature center with special programs, a wonderful dog park, two fossil collection areas, paint ball, horse rental and designated horse trails, bike trails, walking trails through the nature preserve, disc golf, and a golf course. Nearby, there is also an Adena Indian Mound and the Pioneer Farm Museum. The Pioneer House was initially the park’s office back in the 1950s before becoming a museum and interpretive center. 
The Pioneer House
Acton Lake is the most southwestern lake on my BHAG list. It is almost in Indiana and one of the longer drives from my house. It is a relief to have it completed. The staff at the lodge was pleasant and the cottages looked really nice. I would have quite happily spent the night at the park except for the fact that no other lakes are close to it and I wanted to get an early start paddling the next day. When my BHAG is over, I plan to come back to the park and stay in one of the cottages overlooking the lake.  
The Poles Waiting for Their Floating Docks and Another Season of Fun on the Lake


No comments:

Post a Comment