Monday, July 20, 2015

Rocky Fork Lake: Vessel Safety Check Again-For Real This Time


12 April 2015

Lake #23        Rocky Fork Lake, Rocky Fork State Park, Highland County

It was a sunny 67 degrees when I headed out kayaking on 2,000-acre Rocky Fork Lake. No skirt or paddle jacket needed, oh the freedom! Rocky Fork Lake is surrounded by Rocky Fork State Park that is almost entirely composed of the lake, not much land to it. The area right around the lake is park owned but just a little way out is private land so the scenery is a mix of trees with some houses visible through the leaves.
Rocky Fork Lake Near the Dam
Rocky Fork Dam
Rocky Fork Dam and Spillway
The park has a disc golf course at the South Beach, picnic areas on the north and east areas overlooking the lake, and 171 campsites at the northwest corner of the lake. The lake provides 6 boat launch sites and 2 swimming beaches.
North Beach Swimming Beach
East Shore Drive Boat Ramp
South Beach Ramp
The lake allows motors of unlimited horsepower and has a large open zone for skiing, not a selling point for me as a kayaker.


I chose to put in at the North Beach Ramp. 
North Beach Boat Ramp
It was a busy day at the lake; the parking lot was full. There was an open restroom with running water, a big plus. I chose to first paddle north and go under the North Shore Road Bridge.
Heading North Toward North Shore Road Bridge
I always like going where the motorized boats can’t go. There was a quiet little marsh on the other side of the bridge.
Marsh North of North Shore Road
Marsh North of North Shore Road
I have a thing for going under bridges like my husband has a thing for going around islands. We all have our “things.
Heading South Back Under Bridge Toward Boat Ramp
After exploring this area for a few minutes, I headed south away from the boat ramp and paddled a couple very small fingers on the west side. Here I saw a great blue heron, a deer, and some turtles out for the sunshine.
Great Blue Heron and Turtles Enjoying the Sunshine
Deer Along the Water's Edge
I passed some benches along the shore that would be a great place to hang out and watch the boats go by.
Benches and Fishing Dock on the West Side
The eastern side of the North Beach Area has a Boat Rental and Fuel Station. It also has numerous boat docks.
Boat Docks Lined Up and Waiting
Boat Fuel Station
Boat Fuel Station and Boat Rental
Heading South Out of the Finger
After leaving the finger that the boat ramp is located in, I explored the area to the west which is part of the open zone of the lake.
Out of the Finger
Looking South
Heading West
Heading West
Heading Back East
Heading East Back Toward the Boat Ramp
The open area was a bit choppy because there were so many boats coming and going. I decided I had enough and was turning back toward the put in when I saw an osprey swoop down and grab a fish. I videotaped the osprey while my husband was under the tree trying to get a photo. The osprey was not too happy having his mealtime disturbed and tried to poop on my husband’s head. At least it looked intentional to me. I laughed and laughed. I have been having trouble with getting video to work on the blog; hopefully, it will work this time.
Osprey With His Dinner

When we got back to the boat ramp, we had someone greet us. An officer stopped us with the State of Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Watercraft for a vessel safety check. If you recall, back on April 4th when I was at Harsha Lake I submitted to a voluntary safety check with the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and passed with flying colors. The check this time was not voluntary. Only six items were checked: valid license displayed, numbers properly displayed, valid registration documentation, wearable personal flotation device, capacity plate, and within capacity. Just as a reminder, Ohio is one of the few states that require kayaks to be licensed. I keep my registration cards in my dry bag and never take them out, that way I always have them with me. You are not required to be wearing your PFD but you do have to have it in the kayak with you if you are on state owned water. I was wearing mine that day. I always wear mine when I am on a lake with unlimited horsepower. You never know what the other boaters are going to do. I also wear mine if I have any doubts about the weather or if I am not familiar with the body of water I am paddling. I passed once again and was given more bling for the kayaks.
More Kayak Bling
In honor of the successful inspection, I named today’s duck Brad after the inspector.
Baby Duck Brad
Me Chilling With Baby Duck Brad, No Skirt, No Paddle Jacket, Loving Life
If I had the lake to do over, I would put in at the East Shore Area and paddle the east end which is a no wake zone. You live and learn.

May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona



No comments:

Post a Comment