Monday, November 2, 2015

Lake Hope: Dome of Calmness

4 July 2015

Lake #49        Lake Hope, Lake Hope State Park, Vinton County

Lake Hope is one of my favorite lakes in Ohio. This was my third visit to the lake but my first during my kayaking BHAG. Lake Hope has a special feel to it, almost as if an Indian medicine man placed a blessing on it many years ago. Although it was the 4th of July holiday and many people were there, the lake still retained its peacefulness. I jokingly told my husband that it was like there was a dome of calmness covering the lake. There wasn’t the noise you find at other lakes. I believe that the lake’s restriction to boats with electric motors is a large reason for its special tranquility. People do not come to Lake Hope to zoom around the lake; they come to the lake to slow down and relax.
Calm Lake Hope
The Zaleski State Forest, which is the second largest state forest in Ohio at 28,000 acres (the largest is the Shawnee State Forest at 60,000 acres), surrounds Lake Hope State Park adding to its remote feel. The park is located approximately 15 miles south of Nelsonville via State Route 278. 2,983-acre Lake Hope State Park started as Lake Hope Forest Park back in 1937. Then, it became Lake Hope State Park in 1949 with the creation of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. This area was part of the Hanging Rock Iron Region that I wrote about in my blog for Lake Vesuvius (Lake #5). The Lake Hope Furnace is located near the park’s entrance. Most of the forest in this area was cut to provide fuel for the iron smelting needs of the furnace but the land has recovered and a new second-growth forest has taken its place. The furnace is worth a quick visit while you are at the park.
Lake Hope Furnace 
Lake Hope has a single boat ramp located on its south shore off State Route 278, east of the dam.  The parking area is level with the road but the ramp is not visible from the road.  On a previous visit, I looked at putting in at the swimming beach, located off Park Road 12, but it would be quite a hike from the parking area. The boat ramp was very slippery.  I think it is strange how some boat ramps are so slippery you can barely stand while others are fine, one of life’s great mysteries. After putting in, I paddled north. It was wonderful to see so many people out on the water having a great time. You can rent kayaks, canoes, and fishing boats at the concession stand and it looked like many people were doing so.
View Near Boat Ramp, I had a Picnic Lunch Before Heading Out on the Water
My Favorite Sign, Located in Parking Lot By Ramp
Long Ramp With No Turn Around
Boat Ramp Should Have A Slippery When Wet Sign 
Paddling Backward From the Boat Ramp, Yep I Went in Backward
My Hubby and Paddling Buddy with Dam in the Background
On prior visits to the lake, I paddled north and then eastward on the arm of the lake until I ran into an impassible lily pad field. Today, I chose to just keep paddling north until I reached the end. I didn’t want to take the time to paddle the entire lake because the swimming beach was calling my name. Today is one of the few sunny, over 75 degrees, days that I have had while paddling. Lake Hope has a small 600-foot swimming beach that I think is one of the nicest in the state. It is really clean and has an old fashioned good feel to it.    
Paddling Northeast From Boat Ramp 
Heading Northeast 
Paddling to the Northern Tip of the Lake 
Mama Duck Taking a Break
Paddling South 
Heading West Toward Swimming Beach
At the beach, there are restrooms, changing facilities, and the concession stand that sells food and drinks, as well as rents boats. I paddled my kayak up to the beach and immediately took advantage of the restrooms. Then, into the water I went. There were two little girls building a sand castle and I asked then if my pirate duck could storm their castle. Permission was granted so I took the opportunity to take baby duck’s picture. I have named him Zaleski in honor of the surrounding state forest.
Baby Duck Zaleski 
The beach house, that contains the restrooms and changing facilities, has a large deck with picnic tables overlooking the swimming beach and playground. You get good views of the dam and spillway from there. Lake Hope is a little unusual in that its spillway is located right next to the public swimming beach. Seems to me that there would be some inherit risk in that arrangement but what do I know, I am not an engineer.
Lake Hope Swimming Beach 
Lake Hope Snack Bar and Boat Rental
Lake Hope Beach House 
Playground With Spillway in the Background 
Lake Hope Spillway 
Lake Hope State Park has 66 cottages for rent, with about half off Park Road 9 to the west of the swimming beach and the other off Park Road 1 leading to the Dining Lodge. There are also 141 non-electric campsites and 46 electric ones. The high number campsites are quite a distance down the road. It seemed to take forever to get to them when I was scoping out the campground, I don’t know if that would be a plus or not. Overall, the campground looked about average; although, the nature center was very pretty.
Lake Hope Dining Lodge 
Campground Nature Center 
Lake Hope is the place to go for a relaxing paddle with pretty scenery.

May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, we are getting ready to kayak around Lake Hope for a couple of days in September. I was already pretty happy about my decision, now I am "geeked."

    Love your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us.
    Cabo Yacht Charters

    ReplyDelete