Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Lake Snowden: Green Heron Meditation

Lake Snowden

5 July 2015

Lake #51        Lake Snowden, Lake Snowden Park, Athens County

Lake Snowden is located at 5900 State Route 50, 5 miles west of Athens. Park admission is free but a parking fee of $4 per day is charged. 675-acre Lake Snowden Park has camping facilities: RV and tent, hot showers, laundry, toilets, drinking water, a swimming beach, bathhouse, horseshoe courts, and picnic tables. The park operates a boat rental facility that offers canoes, rowboats, paddleboats and kayaks. There is no boating charge to use your own boat. There is no restriction on boat horsepower but the entire lake is “no wake, Idle only.”
View of Lake Snowden from Boat Ramp 
136-acre Lake Snowden is the largest of the four lakes forming the Margaret Creek Conservancy District, built in 1968 for flood control. Lake Snowden was opened to the public in 1972. It was sold in 1984 to Le-Ax Water Company for a source reservoir. Then sold again in 1998 to Hocking College to be operated as an education and recreation park. The Ohio Pawpaw Festival is held at Lake Snowden the second full weekend in September each year. I had the opportunity to attend the festival last year and had a great time. I met many really nice people, had some great food and local beer, and even learned a few things from the workshop presenters. I highly recommend checking it out.
Boats for Rent at Lake Snowden
Lake Snowden Park is Visible from SR 50 

Lake Snowden has one boat ramp that is located on the south shore and easily seen from the park’s entrance. There is plenty of parking and restrooms nearby. I was really surprised that the lake was not crowded given that it was a holiday weekend but there were only two other kayakers out on the water.
Lake Snowden Boat Ramp
Upon putting in, I headed first to check out the camping located on the south shore along the western arm of the lake. Along the way I came across ducks and several turtles.
Paddling West from Boat Ramp
Some of the Many Turtles at Lake Snowden
Brave Turtle at Lake Snowden
Making My Own Obstacle Course
Camping on the Western Arm of Lake Snowden 
After checking out the campground, I turned around and headed east back toward the boat ramp. From there I headed northeast passing the dam on my right.
Heading East Toward Boat Ramp
Heading North from Boat Ramp
Dam in the Distance
Once I passed the dam and made the turn west toward the northern point of the lake, I began to see notes tied to tree branches. The notes were all signed by Sean. Since I have never seen notes at any other lake, I decided to name the baby duck for this lake Sean in his honor. Sean, I hope you get what you are looking for. 
One of the Many Notes Tied to Tree Branches
Lake Snowden's Baby Duck Sean
As I continued paddling northwest, I began to see many Great Blue Heron. I got some terrific video. I love how they always seem so annoyed when I stumble upon them.
One of the Many Great Blue Heron at Lake Snowden


At the end of the small northwestern arm, I came across the most serene setting. Rest of the world seemed suddenly very far away. As I sat still in that moment I became aware of a Green Heron right next to me. This is why I kayak. I kayak for these moments that I am totally in the moment. This is my meditation.
Heading Down the Northwestern Arm

Green Heron at Lake Snowden
This moment was the highlight of my paddle and my day. I started this kayaking BHAG because I had forgotten what made me happy. I thought it was because I had let life get in the way of my happiness but through this BHAG journey I have found that it was me who had gotten in the way. Out on the water in my kayak gives me a way to slow down my mind and truly live in the moment. I have found meditation on nature brings me joy that stays with me much longer than the pursuit of happiness. Knowing that the paddle could not get any better, I decided to call it a day and headed back to the put in.
Back at the Boat Ramp
May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona

2 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for this entire blog! We're in Columbus and just got kayaks and were trying to find resources to find good spots in Ohio where we can relax and enjoy a quiet paddle. I found your blog and it has been an immense help to us! We go to Lake Hope this weekend and are really looking forward to it. Paddle on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage.I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks for posting this again.
    Luxury Yachts Cabo

    ReplyDelete