Thursday, January 8, 2015

Lake Milton: Gratitude

8 November 2014

Lake #3    Lake Milton, Lake Milton State Park, Mahoning County

After my morning kayak at Berlin Lake,  I drove to Lake Milton looking for possible put in locations.  As I was doing that I realized that I was quite hungry.  There were few dining options around; I chose Gionino's Pizzeria.  My husband and I shared a deluxe sub and lasagna which were pretty good and reasonably priced (we were also very hungry, cold, and didn't have many options-so keep that in mind).  The best thing about Gionino's was the waitress/cashier Becca, who was so sweet I decided to name Lake Milton's duck in her honor.  I told her about my BHAG and my blog project and she happily posed for a picture.
Gionino's Pizzeria, 17606 Mahoning Avenue

Becca
There wasn't a very large parking area at the restaurant so I parked across the street at what has to be about the smallest park I have ever seen.  Luckily, it was off season so my car and trailer could take up the entire parking lot.



The gazebo would probably be a nice place to sit and look at the lake in much different weather.  It was 32 degrees and very windy when I was there.  I walked out to the end, looked at the water, and practically ran back to the car.

Lake Milton must have been a fun place to hang out at during the early 20th century when it had an amusement park at Craig's Beach and taverns, a dance hall, and a skating rink on the east side of the lake.  My visit wasn't quite the fun I had hoped for but it was still enjoyable (any time kayaking is a good time).  The lake was already drawn down about 6 of its planned 8 feet for the winter.  The state posts the lake drawdown schedule on its website at parks.ohiodnr.gov.  I ended up putting in at the Pointview Launch Ramp.  The two best things about this launch area were that the parking lot had lights (really came in handy as it got dark while I was packing up at the end of the day) and a restroom (it is so much more fun to put a wetsuit, base layer, etc. on in a restroom than outside huddled by the car).


It was still windy but the water was not as choppy as it had been at Berlin Lake so off I went in search of adventure with my baby duck Becca.

  
Sometimes you have to search for something interesting and be open to whatever may come your way.  I was paddling slowly along shore when I spotted a deer coming down to the lake.  I stopped paddling and quietly watched.  I felt so thankful in that moment that I was able to be on the water even though paddling conditions were not optimal.  I was so content in the moment that I forgot to take a picture.  It is through moments like that that this BHAG will help me rediscover myself and find happiness.  While kayaking I came across a private dock that mother nature had decided to take out.  It made me laugh.  I also got to have a private air show from a small plane that was trying out its moves above the lake.  So even though the lake had been drawn down, the scenery was gloomy, and the weather was cold and windy, I had a great time out on the lake and just made it back to shore as the sun was going down.
"If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul."  Harold Kushner

2 comments:

  1. thanks I live there,we move in 1964.It was a fun place as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just recently began to kayak Lake Milton, and find beautiful distractions. I love it.

    ReplyDelete