Friday, January 9, 2015

Berlin Lake, Part Two: Mud Pies or Be Careful Where You Launch During Drawdown Season

9 November 2014

Lake #2 Part Two

Berlin Lake, Southern Portion Where the Mahoning River Feeds It

I felt I had short changed Berlin Lake yesterday out of my fear of getting locked into the campgrounds so I decided to make another try at it, this time checking out the southern edge.  I put in at 40.97422, -81.10610.  There is a large area for parking which was big enough for me to turn the trailer around but no restrooms.  Access is just north of Alliance, Ohio, off Price Road NE, just west of Union Avenue NE, 1/4 mile west of the Barber Airport.  Due to the drawdown the start of the water was some distance from the gravel area of the parking lot.  This was not an issue in terms of carrying the kayak but of sinking in the mud left behind.  I sunk past my ankles in the mud and was afraid that I might lose a shoe.  Since I was already muddy and more than half way to the water I decided to keep on going.  Luckily, I made it to the water with both shoes still attached to my feet.

Like the northern end of the lake, there were many exposed mudflats that attract shorebirds.
Southern part of Berlin Lake
I found the scenery in the southern part of the lake to be much prettier than the area around the campground boat launch site from the previous day.  I was glad that I had decided to give Berlin another try.  Yesterday, I had not come up for a good name for Berlin Lake's duck but I knew what I was going to call it now - "Muddy."
Berlin Lake's baby duck "Muddy"

Most of the mud washed off during kayaking only to be reapplied on the way back to the car
I had thought about trying to kayak another lake after Berlin but I was covered in mud, my clothes were covered in mud, and all my kayaking gear was covered in mud.  Luckily, I had backup clothes and an extra trash bag in the car that I was able to put all my muddy clothes in.  I cleaned up myself as best I could with wet wipes and decided to call it a day.  I now make sure that I always have extra trash bags and plenty of wet wipes in the car for whatever may come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment