Friday, March 20, 2015

Upper Sandusky Reservoir #2: Do I Earn Extra Credit?

26 December 2014

Lake #11    Upper Sandusky Reservoir #2, Wyandot County

I started the day at Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area planning to kayak its 285-acre Upground Reservoir but there were high winds and the water was very choppy (no wet or dry suit plus capsizing would not be a good combo) so I decided to leave it for another day. Killdeer Plains is located eight miles south of Upper Sandusky so it was a short drive to the Upper Sandusky Reservoir #2 which is located on the southeastern edge of the city. The main entrance is off of Country Road 60B and the boat ramp is located on the southern side of the reservoir; however, I drove in from Reservoir Road off of East Wyandot Avenue and past Reservoir #1. 

I made a pit stop at the main parking area for Reservoir #1 where there was a “real” and unlocked restroom. Sound the trumpets! I looked over Reservoir #1 during my break, it looked like it would be a pretty paddle but it was too small to make my list so I drove on to Upper Sandusky Reservoir #2.
Ducks at Upper Sandusky Reservoir #1
Reservoir #1 Boat Ramp with Dam in the Background
Reservoir #2 was filled in 2002 to provide water to the city of Upper Sandusky, the county seat for Wyandot County. Upper Sandusky was named “Upper” because it is located on the upper reaches of the Sandusky River. The reservoir is not very interesting. It is an upground, almost square shaped reservoir. Water is pumped into the reservoir from the Sandusky River that is about a mile west.  There is a large parking area located near the boat ramp, a gazebo of sorts to enjoy views of the reservoir, a walking trail, and a clean port a john (I saved the best for last). You can see Reservoir #1  from the parking lot of Reservoir #2. Both reservoirs allow electric motors only.
Gazebo Over Looking Reservoir #2
You Can See Reservoir #1 Through the Trees
Reservoir #2

Reservoir #2 was so boring that I even forgot to put baby duck Freddie out for his paddle. Wyandot County is number one in the state of Ohio for quail production. I didn't have a quail duck so I went for the closest thing I had--a rooster. I did get to see a number of live geese while I was paddling and they provided a little entertainment.  

Baby Duck Freddie

The maximum depth of Reservoir #2 is 23 feet in the northwestern corner but the average depth is only 13 feet. There are cattails growing along the south shore. Cattails bring back fond memories for me. When I was about ten years old I used to play with the fluffy seed heads in the autumn. I could spend hours pulling off the heads and watching them blow away in the wind. The north central portion of Reservoir #2 has an area with standing trees and stumps which can be a little fun to paddle around. As I was paddling Reservoir #2, I kept thinking how I would rather be kayaking on Reservoir #1. I finally decided that I had put enough time in on Reservoir #2 and headed over to reservoir #1.
Cattails Along the South Shore
Reservoir #2
Reservoir #1 is not on my BHAG list for the year because it is only 32 acres in size. It seems much larger when you are on it paddling; it is long and narrow with lots of nooks and crannies.  Reservoir #1 was built in 1957 with the same purpose of its bigger brother. Reservoir #1 has an average depth of 13 feet like Reservoir #2 and a maximum of 25 feet by the dam in the northwest corner.  Both Reservoir #1 and Reservoir #2 are impounding types of reservoirs, they hold untreated water. 
Boat Ramp Upper Sandusky Reservoir #1
The day I was there no one else was on the water but there were remote controlled boats. A family was trying out their Christmas gifts. I challenged one of the kids to a race between me and his boat. He didn’t take me up on the offer; I think I scared him. He chose to chase some ducks instead. 
Swim Faster the Boats Are Coming
Reservoir #1 has prettier scenery around it than Reservoir #2. It also has more variety on the water; it isn't just a wide open space. There were some trees in the water that provided a little obstacle to make things interesting.  Along the north shore, there are a few parking areas that appear to be prime make- out locations, just based on what I saw as I was paddling by.
Western Finger of Reservoir #2
Trees to Paddle Around on Reservoir #2
Heading East Down the Center of Reservoir #1
More Trees to Play with on Reservoir #1
I Prefer the Trees of Reservoir #1 over the Openness of Reservoir #2
Daylight is Coming to an End
I kayaked Upper Sandusky Reservoir #2 because it is on my BHAG list: it is a lake or reservoir, larger than 100 acres, that is open to the public for recreational use. If you are not doing the same BHAG then I would recommend skipping it and just kayaking its baby brother Reservoir #1. I feel like I should get some kind of extra credit. Not only did I kayak the reservoir on my list but I did an additional one as well. Too bad I am not being graded on this project. Can I at least get a gold star?
Smaller Reservoir #1 Wins Out over Reservoir #2


No comments:

Post a Comment