Friday, March 20, 2015

If Something Brings You Joy Then Find a Way to Do It

3 January 2015

It looks strange to write 2015. Well, I hate to say it but kayaking is over for the winter. We have frigid temperatures and two to six inches of snow in central Ohio. I had hoped to get to kayak while it was snowing but the lakes iced over too quickly.

I feel pretty good about where I stand in the progress of my BHAG. I have kayaked 11 (12 if I get extra credit for lakes not on my list) of the 108 lakes since November 7, 2014. Just as a reminder, my BHAG requires me to kayak all the lakes and reservoirs in Ohio that are larger than 100 acres by November 6, 2015. My self-imposed year time frame corresponds to my 50th year on this planet. I will have 97 lakes left to kayak once spring is here.

Prior to 2014, I had owned kayaks twice before. Both times I ended up selling them because they were not getting used. They didn’t get used because I had so much trouble with transporting them. I have a Honda Odyssey that is great for carrying lots of stuff but has a high roof. I am only 5’4” tall and even with a portable step stool I had a heck of a time getting the kayaks on top of the car. Once I got the kayaks on the roof, I had even a more difficult time getting them secured in the kayak carriers.


It got to be that I dreaded transporting the kayaks so much that I stopped kayaking altogether. I loved kayaking and being out on the water so I knew that I had to come up with a solution. I decided that I would get a trailer so that I didn’t have to be able to lift the kayaks on top of the car. The first step was having a trailer hitch put on the car; I chose to have it done at the dealer just so I didn’t have to worry about whether it was done right. Second, I had the electrical installed by U-Haul—it was about half the price of the dealer and U-Haul does it all the time. Last, I needed a trailer. I lucked out and bought one used but like new at a garage sale.

At first, I just strapped the kayaks onto the trailer. After a few trips I made modifications to get it to where it is today. I found that having the straps go directly through the trailer bed was pulling the floor of the trailer up, plus it wasn’t easy to get the hooks just right. Some 2x4s secured to the frame with eyebolts sticking up solved that issue. I use two, ratchet tie down straps on each kayak and hook them into the eyebolts. Then I attach two bungee cords, one at the bow and one at the stern. I call these my “Oh, shit” lines. Bouncing down back roads, I now have no concern about losing my kayaks. It’s such a relief.
Trailer for Transporting My Kayaks

Pool Noodles Make Great Bumpers
Now for the pool noodles, I found that my kayaks were rubbing against the medal frame of the trailer. I fixed that problem with pool noodles that I bought at the dollar store, for you guessed it one dollar each. When spring comes I will invest in a few more noodles and replace the ones I have as they wear out.

If something brings you as much joy as kayaking does for me you have to find a way to make it happen. None of us are getting any younger. If there is something that you really want to do but something is standing in your way then find a way over, or around the obstacle. There is a way. You just have to find it. I will see you back here in the spring!

1 comment:

  1. Your ethos about persevering with something when it brings you pleasure definitely strikes a chord with me. I had a similar dilemma about transporting my bikes in my small car but it never occurred to me to get a trailer. There are certainly plenty kayaks flying along the motorway near me on top of trailers. Your idea is popular and well done.

    Andrea Wilkins @ Get Away Outdoors

    ReplyDelete