Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Knox Lake: You Can Buy That From a Vending Machine?

7 December 2014

Lake #10    Knox Lake, Knox County

I originally tried to kayak this lake back on November 23rd but it was iced over. Like Kokosing Lake (which is discussed in my previous blog), I thought I would be successful today since it has been much warmer. I was correct. Yeah. I can be a bit stubborn at times. I had the lake on my schedule to be paddled before I put my kayak up for the winter and I was determined to make it happen. Knox Lake is located about 1.5 miles northeast of Fredericktown. Leaving from Kokosing Lake, I headed east and then took State Route 95 north to County Road 5 (Old Mansfield Road) to reach the boat launch area on the northern, upper section of the lake.
Frozen Knox Lake on November 23, 2014
Unfrozen Knox Lake December 7, 2014
As I was stretching my legs and looking for the restroom (the park map shows a restroom at this location but there was not one there that day), I noticed a lot of broken glass in the parking lot that appeared to be from car windows. I got back in my car to ponder the no restroom and the broken glass. While I was sitting wondering if it would be safe to leave my car there while I was out kayaking (there were no other cars in the lot), a pick-up truck drove into the lot, drove slowly around and then left. My gut told me that it was not a good idea to leave my car there all alone. I decided to go check out another boat ramp. I went to the boat ramp located on the lower section of the lake that is accessed off of Armentrout Road.
Boat Docks at Lower Section of Knox Lake
Lower Section Knox Lake Near Dam
The location of this boat launch is in a much prettier area and the parking lot felt safer than the prior one.  According to the park map, there is a restroom at this location but once again no restroom. My guess is that the Division of Wildlife must have port-a-johns brought in during season and that if you are crazy enough to boat in December then you are crazy enough to go find a spot in the woods.  Although there was no restroom, there was something else that I had never seen before—a vending machine selling bait. That might not be such an unusual thing but it sure was for me.  “I will have a diet coke and five worms, please.”
Boat Rental at the Marina, Lower Section Knox Lake
Bait Vending Machine, Knox Lake
Knox Lake was built in 1954 by damming the Kokosing River. The 470-acre lake is deepest near the dam where it is over 24 feet (the lower section of the lake) but most of the lake is 12 feet or less. There is a 10 mph horsepower limit on outboard motors. Boaters in the upper section of the lake should take caution because it is full of tree stumps.
Knox Lake
Heavily Wooded Knox Lake

Heading North on Knox Lake
Today’s baby duck Bucky Badger is wearing camouflage to help him get safely back home to Wisconsin. After his devastating loss to the Ohio State Buckeyes last night in the Big Ten Football Championship Game, he needs all the help he can get. Yes, I am from Ohio. Yes, I am an Ohio State University football fan.  “OH…IO.”
Looking for a Spot for Bucky Badger to Take a Dip

Baby Duck Bucky's Camouflage Really Helps Him to Disappear
It has been a nice day out on the lake; even though, there were no restrooms. Can you go all day without using the restroom? No. Neither can I. Thank goodness for lots of trees.
The Sun Tells Me That it is Time to Turn Around

The Sun is Quickly Leaving Me

Back to the Boat Launch I Go

On the Home Stretch

The End to Another Day of Paddling



1 comment: