Thursday, March 12, 2015

Tycoon Lake: Flatwater Slalom Kayaking

16 November 2014

Lake #7    Tycoon Lake, Tycoon Lake Wildlife Area, Gallia County

After a morning of kayaking at Jackson Lake, I headed to the 684-acre Tycoon Lake Wildlife Area.  The Lake is approximately 200 acres with an additional 25-acre wetland. Tycoon Lake is in a much more remote area than Jackson Lake. The nearest city is Athens at a distance of 38 miles. The Wildlife Area is located between State Routes 325 and 554, approximately five miles northeast of Rio Grande. I drove in on State Route 554 and then followed Tycoon Road to the Lake’s southern dam; this Lake has two earthen dams. I parked and stretched my legs with a walk across the dam. The second dam is located in the northeastern section of the Lake. The wetlands are visible from the road as it passes just east of the second dam.  
Walking on the Southern Dam

Southern Dam Spillway


View Looking West from the Southern Dam


Tycoon Lake was created in 1960 by damming an old channel of Raccoon Creek and a lowland swamp. All the timber was left in the lake. There are numerous tree stumps along the north shoreline that can serve as fun obstacles for kayakers but not so much for other boaters (electric motors are permitted). The Lake is wide and relatively shallow with a maximum depth of eighteen feet. There is an unusual “Hand-and-Eye” petroglyph that is located on a rock shelter near the Lake; unfortunately, I didn’t have time to look for it the day I was there.   
Tree in the Middle of Tycoon Lake

Random Tree Stumps

Wide Open Tycoon Lake

After getting the cramps out of my legs, I got back into the car and headed north to the boat launch area which is centrally located on the Lake. There is a handicap accessible fishing pier located near the concrete boat ramp and a latrine (remember any restroom is a good restroom). There was a single fisherman and his dog leaving as I was putting in. Tycoon Lake is considered one of the better big bass lakes of Southeast Ohio. The Lake is one of the select lakes that the Division of Wildlife is trying to turn into a trophy bass lake. There are primitive campsites located next to the water but signs posted that say no camping after January 1, 2015. I don’t know if that is a permanent restriction or not.  
Boat Launch Tycoon Lake

Handicap Accessible Fishing Pier

Primitive Campsites at the Water's Edge
It was a gray overcast 35 degrees when I put in. My daughter named this Lake’s baby duck Dee Dee.  Wood ducks are year round residents at the Lake. I wonder what they thought of Dee Dee. After letting her paddle around for a while, I created my own fun—slalom kayaking. I set up a course using some of the many tree stumps that stick out of the Lake. I was laughing as I pretended I was competing in an Olympic slalom race, minus the whitewater. The dreariness of the day did not lend itself to a good paddle but by looking for ways to be positive I had fun and created moments of happiness.  
Tycoon Lake's Baby Duck Dee Dee

Dee Dee Goes for a Paddle


No comments:

Post a Comment