Thursday, October 22, 2015

Kiser Lake: The Kindness of Strangers


1 July 2015

Lake #46        Kiser Lake, Kiser Lake State Park, Champaign County

396-acre Kiser Lake is known for its clean, clear waters. I was excited to go paddle this lake because it is rare in that it allows no motors. Kiser Lake is located in west central Ohio, 4 miles northwest of St. Paris and 34 miles north of Dayton on State Route 235. The Kiser Lake region was the home of Tecumseh. If you have not seen the Tecumseh Outdoor Drama presented in Chillicothe, I highly recommend it. The set with its water feature and cliff rocks, and live action with horses, make for an entertaining history lesson. Kiser Lake came about as a dream of John W. Kiser. In 1932, the Kiser family gave several hundred acres of the Mosquito Creek Valley to the state for development. A dam was constructed in 1939 and the new lake was named Kiser in the family’s honor. It would be so wonderful to have the opportunity to give land and have a lake built, having it named after you would just be the icing on the cake.
Kiser Lake 
Kiser Lake has five boat launch sites: three on the north shore and two on the south. When I first arrived, I went to check out the dam and spillway located on the western shore along State Route 235. Near here, on the north shore, are the park office, pit latrines, and one of the five boat ramps. The park office was closed and a sign directed visitors to the marina. I decided to eat my lunch at one of the picnic tables near the lake before heading off to explore.
Fishing Pier with Dam and Spillway in the Background 
Spillway Runs Under State Route 235 
Closed Park Office
Park Office Boat Ramp 
My View During My Picnic Lunch 
I drove south down State Route 235 and then east on Possum Hollow Road so I could check out the south shore. The most development around the lake is located on the east side where the main campground, swimming beach, and marina are located. There are some primitive campsites right on the lake; unfortunately, the road runs right along as well. Kiser State Park has 108 non-electric sites, 10 electric sites, and a single camper cabin.
Southeast Corner of Kiser Lake
Water Lilies
View From the Primitive Campsites 
Some Campsites Right on the Water's Edge
The swimming beach is 600 feet long; there are pit latrines here. The marina has boat rentals: rowboats and kayaks. There are also pit latrines here. I chose to put in at the boat ramp located southeast of the marina and swimming beach. There are no facilities here. I had my kayak unloaded from the trailer and had started unloading my gear when I discovered that I had made a crucial mistake when packing for the trip. I had one half of my paddle and one half of my husband’s paddle; unfortunately, they were both for the same side so I couldn’t put them together. 
The Facilities at the Swimming Beach are the Closest to the Ramp
600 Foot Swimming Beach 
Rowboats Ready for Rental 
Kayaks for Rent Too
Boat Ramp to the East of Swimming Beach 
I thought, “Great, I have driven all this way and I am not going to be able to paddle.” That’s when Vinny and his family came to my rescue. They were finishing up a day of fishing and kayaking. They offered me the use of their paddle so I could kayak Kiser Lake for my BHAG. I named the baby duck for this lake Vinny in honor of his kindness; he even helped me carry my kayak to my trailer.
Vinny, My Hero, With His Namesake
I made it a short exploration since I was borrowing a paddle. The eastern portion of the lake has many beautiful water lilies. I placed baby duck on one of the many leaves for his close up. I was disappointed that I couldn’t paddle longer but I didn’t want the kind family to have to wait too long.
Paddling South From Boat Ramp 
Paddling to the Southeast Corner of the Lake 
Baby Duck Vinny 
I plan to go back to Kiser Lake State Park and spend more time out on the water and exploring the park. The lake has a small island called Ground Hog Island that I want to check out. It also has two wetlands areas. One runs along the south shore in the center of the lake; the other is located at the southeast corner of the lake and has a boardwalk trail through it.    

May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona


      



No comments:

Post a Comment