Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Piedmont Lake: Feels Like You Are Miles From Civilization

5 June 2015

Lake #36        Piedmont Lake, Belmont, Harrison, and Guernsey Counties

Eastern Ohio Piedmont Lake is located between Cambridge and Cadiz approximately 10 miles north of Interstate 70 off State Route 800. The majority of Piedmont Lake is located within Belmont County; the dam is located in Harrison County and the marina is located in Guernsey County. The Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District manages the entire lake.  
Tranquil Evening on Piedmont Lake 
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built the dam in 1937 for flood control. The 2,270-acre lake is approximately 10 miles long but only ½ a mile wide. There are many arms and fingers for a kayaker to explore. The lake has a maximum depth of 38 feet with a mean of 15 feet. There are two boat ramps, both located on the south shore. The Marina Boat Ramp is located on the western end of the lake off Marina Road. There is a marina here with an old time feel, restrooms with running water, and camping nearby. The Reynolds’s Boat Ramp is located at the southeast side of the lake at the end of bumpy Township Road 803. The only facility is a port a john. The lake has a 10 horsepower limit.
Piedmont Lake Marina
If I Owned a Motorized Boat it Would be a Pontoon Boat
Marina Boat Ramp
When you are at Piedmont Lake you feel like you are miles from civilization. The lake is surrounded by forest.  There is a special tranquility here and an abundance of wild life. On the day of my paddle, I had a bald eagle fly ten feet over my head, saw two deer come down to the lake to drink, saw a sneezing mule/donkey (I am still trying to figure that one out), and watched great blue herons hunting their dinner. I only saw one other boat out the entire time I was there.

When I put in, there were dark storm clouds to the west and the sound of thunder in the distance. I decided to go ahead and paddle until the storm got closer. I got lucky and the storm went around the lake. I headed southeast from the boat ramp, paddling toward the marshland at the end of the lake. On my way there I had a bald eagle fly right over my head. It was the closest I have been to one and it was amazing. After flying to the other side of the lake, he flew back and landed in a tree close to me. I sat there for quite some time just watching him and enjoying the moment. There were beautiful flowers growing along the water’s edge here so I decided it was a good spot for my baby duck’s picture. I decided to name her Caitlyn in honor of Bruce Jenner’s recent transformation (something about the glasses reminded me of her). I remember watching Bruce win the gold medal in 1976 at the Summer Olympics, setting a new world record in the decathlon.
Storm to the West 
Thunder in the Distance But No Lightning 
Looks Much Better to the Southeast 
Bald Eagle Hidden in the Leaves 
Beautiful Flowers Along the South Shore
Baby Duck Caitlyn
I then paddled south into a small cove of the lake. I saw something there that I had never seen before. It looked as if the bottom of the lake was molting. Chunks of tan bark like pieces were floating to the surface. It was very cool and creepy at the same time. I have since learned that the eastern part of the lake receives run off from reclaimed coal mining land. The water draining from the reclaimed watershed contains aluminum and is highly acidic. The chemical changes Ph when it enters the lake and oxidizes becoming a sulfate. Over the years, the aluminum sulfate forms on the bottom of the lake. I don't really know what happens to make it start flaking off and rising to the surface. Mike Greenly with the Ohio Division of Wildlife District Four tried to explain it to me but I kind of zoned out at that point. The important thing is that it isn't toxic unless you decide to drink all the water in the cove. Heading out of the cove, there is a beautiful tree at the corner. This looks like it would be the perfect spot for a picnic. It was in the evening before dinner so I didn’t get to take advantage of it. Kayakers could easily take out and put in here.
Southeast Cove 
At First I Thought This Was Tree Bark 
Lake Molting
Creepy and Cool
Great Spot for a Picnic
Shortly after turning the corner, I saw two deer come down to the lake to drink. Unfortunately, I startled them before I could get good pictures. As I was paddling to where I last saw the deer, I started hearing strange sneezing sounds. When I got closer, I saw that it was a mule/donkey (I am not sure which one). There wasn’t a person with it, kind of strange.
Drinking at the Water's Edge
The Second Deer Ran Away Too Fast for a Picture 
I continued paddling southeast and came upon a field of American Water Lotus. It had started to rain by this time and drops were floating on their tops. I love the way the rain droplets bead on their surface. I think the leaves would make a great material for raincoats.
Heading Southeast Toward Marshland
Field of American Water Lotus

I Think I Should Get a Patent for Making Raincoats Out of These 
Since I had paddled along the south shore when heading to the marshland, I decided to paddle back to the boat ramp along the north shore. The north shore had several cool rock formations. The rain started to come down hard so I stopped focusing on the scenery, put away my phone/camera, and paid more attention to paddling. I loved how serene this lake was and all the wildlife I got to see. I will be going back.
Heading Northwest Back To Boat Ramp
Some of the Many Rocks Along the North Shore
The Rocks Were Like Art Sculptures
The End to a Serene Paddle 
After packing up, I stopped at Hog Heaven in New Philadelphia (1290 West High Avenue, 330-308-8040) for dinner. I had never been here before but was told that they had good ribs. I am a sucker for ribs. Their ribs were not the best I have had but they were pretty good. The fried zucchini appetizer was excellent. They had a menu item that I was too chicken to try; it was called Prehistoric Hog Eggs. If you have had them, I would be really curious to learn what you thought about them.
In Search of Ribs
I Ate at the New Philadelphia Location 
Prehistoric Hog Eggs, Never Seen That Before

May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona




         

No comments:

Post a Comment