Monday, October 5, 2015

Madison Lake: Two Paddle Buddies


31 May 2015

Lake #35        Madison Lake, Madison Lake State Park, Madison County

Madison Lake was a quiet change from Salt Fork Lake, which I kayaked last week. Salt Fork Lake is one of the larger lakes in Ohio at 2,952 acres, while little Madison Lake squeaks in at just 100 acres. Madison Lake is surrounded by pint size Madison Lake State Park, which is 76 acres. The park is located about 3 miles east of the city of London.
Madison Lake, Another Cold and Rainy Ohio Day 
In 1946, the land in the area was deeded to the state of Ohio for the purpose of developing a lake and shortly afterwards a dam was constructed across Deer Creek. The lake is shallow with a maximum depth of around six feet.  Large lily pads form during the summer in the northern half of the lake. The north end of the lake is a designated hunting area for migratory birds. The lake has one boat ramp located on its eastern shore off Deer Creek Lane. There are no restrooms at the boat launch area but there are restrooms a short walk away at the 300-foot sand swimming beach.    
Madison Lake Boat Ramp 
It was an unseasonably cold when I was there. There was no one on the beach and the only other person on the water was an Ohio Department of Natural Resources employee working on a fish count. Since my husband and I purchased new kayaks, I passed on my former yellow kayak to my daughter. Today, my yellow kayak was officially handed over to my daughter so I get to have two paddling buddies instead of just one. Yeah!
Empty Swimming Beach
My Two Paddling Buddies 
After putting in, I paddled south to check out the dam and spillway. Not much to either one but the spillway runs right under CR 133A (Cheseldine Road). From the lake, it looks like the water is flowing over the road. I then headed north hugging the western shoreline. There is a finger here with a small island to paddle around. I decided to take baby duck’s picture here in front of some lovely flowers growing along the bank. It is hard to tell in the picture but the duck is a “softball” duck. I decided to name the duck Sunbird in honor of my daughter. This is the first year that my daughter is not playing summer softball. If she were playing, then she wouldn’t be able to be paddling with me today. The Sunbirds were her former team. Go, Sunbirds!
Paddling Toward Dam and Spillway 
Spillway From the Lake
Spillway From the Road 
Paddling North From Dam 
Small Island Along Western Shore
Baby Duck Sunbird 
There is a very nice covered picnic shelter on the western side of the lake. There are also picnic tables on both sides of the lake. All of the park amenities are located on the southern half of the lake. The northern half of the lake is shallow, has many lily pad fields, and is more scenic. I saw two great blue herons here and several ducks that I scared off.
Pretty Covered Picnic Shelter on the West Side of Lake
Fishing Peninsula and Picnic Area Next to Boat Ramp 
"You shall not pass."
My Daughter Hunting For a Path Through the Lily Pad Fields
A Great Blue Heron Playing Peek a Boo 
The Migratory Game Bird Hunting Area at the Far North of the Lake 
When we got home after our paddle, my husband realized that he didn’t have his wallet with him. He had laid it on the trailer when we were packing up and apparently forgot to pick it up. Before he had a chance to start making phone calls cancelling all his credit cards, a woman called and said she had found his wallet at the boat ramp area. She offered to meet him at a location half way and I am happy to report that nothing was missing from his wallet. Based on this experience, I know that some very nice people use this park!

May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona



No comments:

Post a Comment