Friday, October 16, 2015

Leesville Lake: Feels Like the 1950s

7 June 2015

Lake #39        Leesville Lake, Carroll County

Leesville Lake was my fourth Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District Lake scheduled to be paddled during a single weekend. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. The previous lake, Tappan, had been a disappointment but I really liked Piedmont and Clendening Lakes. Leesville Lake is the smallest of the four lakes at a 1,000 acres. The lake is located in southwest Carroll County near Carrollton and is accessible by State Routes 39 and 212.  Like the other Muskingum Watershed lakes, Leesville’s dam was constructed in the 1930s for flood control. Leesville Lake has a 10 horsepower limit and is similar in nature to Clendening Lake.
Leesville Lake, South Side 
Leesville Lake has two public boat launch sites located at each marina. The larger of the two is the Leesville South Fork Marina located southwest near the dam. There were so many people coming and going here that I did not get a photo of the boat ramp. The second is the Petersburg Marina located at the far north of the lake. The north shore marina is located off Azalea Road (County Road 22). Both locations have pit toilets and drinks and food available at their marinas. I chose to put in at the north location because that entire area is a no wake zone and I thought there would be fewer motorized boats. The drive to the Petersburg Marina was beautiful and made me hopeful for the coming paddle.
South Fork Marina Parking Lot, Sea of Pick-up Trucks
Leesville Dam
Drive to Petersburg Marina
Petersburg Marina 
Boat Ramp at Petersburg Marina
The Petersburg Marina and Campground have an old time feeling. It could have easily been the 1950s instead of today. Many campers had additions, like decks, built on to them. Apparently, numerous families rent the same spot year after year. It was a small, packed campground with a laid back vibe to it. The staff at the marina were very friendly and laid back. After putting in, I paddled east toward the lake’s end. I passed the campground and a beautiful weeping willow tree, my favorite kind of trees. I would love to own some land with a stream and a huge weeping willow tree on it.
Pontoon Parking Lot
Paddling East From Boat Ramp 
Campground in the Background 
Coveted Weeping Willow Tree 
As I continued paddling east, the lake took on more of the feel of a stream than a lake. There were water lotuses along the way that I stopped to admire and to take baby duck’s picture on. I christened him McGuire for the creek that was dammed to create the lake. I continued paddling east with beautiful pines along the south shore and signs of beaver activity to the north. I also viewed a butterfly get together. After reaching the end, I turned around and paddled west past the campground and marina.
Paddling East
Field of Water Lotus 
Baby Duck McGuire 
Lake or Stream?
Beaver Activity 
Butterfly Party
Heading West Past the Marina 
Next, I explored a small bay west of the marina. I always like trying to go where I think the motorized boats can't go. There was a tree down that at first appeared to be the end of the line but my husband and I were able to easily paddle around it. We explored a little further before turning around and heading back to the marina. We ate lunch at the marina on the deck over looking the lake. We had bacon hamburgers with chips. The hamburgers were surprisingly good. Overall, Leesville was a nice lake and an enjoyable paddle. I would choose it over Tappan Lake every time. I would call it a draw between Leesville and Clendening Lake, but Leesville can't compete with Piedmont Lake's natural beauty and abundance of wildlife.   
Heading Into Bay West of Marina 
Is This the End of the Line? 
Hubby and I Had No Trouble Paddling Around the Trees
I Love Going Where the Motorized Boats Can't
Enjoying the Peace of the Bay 
Lunch Time at the Marina
May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona

  

No comments:

Post a Comment