Sunday, October 18, 2015

Metzger and Ferguson Reservoirs: Portage Practice

26 June 2015

Lakes #42 and #43   Metzger and Ferguson Reservoirs, Allen County

Day two of my Lima Reservoirs paddling brought me to Metzger and Ferguson. The reservoirs are located on Reservoir Road on the east side of Lima. You pass a city of Lima water tower and the city water treatment plant on Mumaugh Road as you are heading to the two upground reservoirs. It seems like there is a city of Lima reservoir everywhere you turn. How much water does the city need? Metzger, the smaller of the two reservoirs at 157 acres, was built in 1946. Ferguson was built in 1958 to expand the city of Lima’s water supply; it has a surface area of 308 acres. Both reservoirs obtain their water from the Ottawa River at high flow and hold it until needed by the city of Lima. They both have primitive gravel boat launches that are accessed from Reservoir Road and they both are restricted to electric only motors. There are no facilities at the reservoirs.
Conveniently Located Next to Reservoirs 
City of Lima Water Treatment Plant as Viewed From Ferguson Reservoir
There is a gravel road running between the two reservoirs, along the east and south sides of Metzger. I decided to put in at Metzger and paddle east toward Ferguson, then portage over the small access road and put in at Ferguson. I had never portaged from one lake to another lake and thought it would be good to see if I could do it on my own. I also thought it was about the only way that I was going to make the paddle interesting.
Road Separating Metzger and Ferguson Reservoirs 
Metzger's Primitive Gravel Boat Launch 
Looking South Across Reservoir From the Boat Ramp
Looking West From the Boat Ramp 
Paddling East Toward Ferguson Reservoir
The Metzger Reservoir has a relatively flat bottom with water depths of 18 to 33 feet. There was no wildlife and nothing of interest to look at.  I decided to name the lake’s baby duck Portage, since the highlight of the paddle was the portage over to Ferguson Reservoir.

Baby Duck Portage 
Getting Ready to Portage 
Small Embankment to Portage Up

Successfully Portaged to Ferguson
Ferguson's water depths range from 3 to 33 feet. It has a typical limestone shoreline with some limited bank cover on the south and east banks. There is a large bed of cattails along the shallow east shoreline so I made that the destination of my paddle.
Heading East From the Boat Ramp
Heading Southeast
Looking West Toward Metzger Reservoir 
Looking East Toward the City of Lima Water Treatment Plant 
Trees to the South 
Heading Southeast to Go See the Cattails 
Destination Reached 
As I was out on the water paddling, I received a text message from my husband that the United States Supreme Court had announced a decision in the Obergefell v. Hodges case. The court’s historic decision for equality provides that states may not deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples and that states must recognize same-sex couples’ existing marriages. I decided to name my baby duck for this lake James Obergefell in honor of fellow Ohioan James, who wanted to be identified as surviving spouse on his partner’s death certificate.     
Baby Duck James Obergefell 
Heading North Back to the Boat Ramp
May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona
 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for info on the reservoir that was great I fished their for the first time May 12 I will go back and fish the catails area that you talked anout! Thanks again Jon Stephens

    ReplyDelete