Monday, October 12, 2015

Tappan Lake: Where All the People Are

6 June 2015

Lake #38        Tappan Lake, Tappan Lake Park, Harrison County


Tappan Lake is located 20 miles southeast of New Philadelphia, with access to I-77, between the towns of Cadiz and Dover. U.S. Route 250 follows the main body of the 2,272-acre lake along its north side on a series of causeways built during the lake’s construction in the 1930s. There are also township roads that border three of the north side bays. These roads allow for great views and easy access to the lake but provide a big distraction when you are out on the water. Tappan Lake’s 399 horsepower limit seems to be a call to boaters. I saw more boating activity here than all the other Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District lakes added together. In addition, Tappan Lake’s 47 miles of shoreline offers more accessible shoreline fishing than any other Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District lake, further adding to the number of people using the lake.
Tappan Lake
Two boat launch ramps are located on the north shore. There is one located near the intersection of U.S. Route 250 and Township Road 215 with no facilities. The second is the marina boat launch area located at U.S. Route 250 and Township Road 220.  I decided not to put in at either one of these boat launch ramps since they were on the main road. I thought I would have more peace and quiet on the south side away from the main roads. Unfortunately, it turned out that I was wrong. The only boat ramp on the south side of the lake is the one accessed through the Tappan Lake Park. There is a $5 fee, per car not person, to enter the park, which includes access to a very nice swimming beach with lifeguards, a concession stand, and a bathhouse with restrooms. To get to the boat ramp you have to go through a maze of RVs and dodge kids on bikes. The place was packed with not an inch of free space. The parking lot for the boat launch area was full. I parked along the side of the road and didn’t get in trouble. There are no facilities at the boat ramp.
Tappan Lake Park Launch Ramp 
Full Parking Lot at Tappan Park Launch Ramp
Sea of Boats 
After waiting patiently, not so patiently in my head, for a couple annoying family’s to take out their boats, I put in and headed north toward the main body of the lake. I viewed the beach from the water and saw that it had a cool obstacle course like the one I saw at Seneca Lake Park. I was hugging the western shoreline trying to stay out of the way of the many boats coming and going. It was here that I came across a mommy Mallard duck with her 6 babies. I watched them for a few minutes and forgot about the annoying boats. There was one little duckling that kept trying to do his own thing, just like in any family.
Paddling North From the Boat Ramp 
Swimming Beach 
Mama Mallard Trying to Hide Her Babies
Diving Practice 
Mama Mallard Was More Concerned About Me Than the Power Boats
After mama duck took off with her ducklings in tow, I continued paddling north out of the bay. I startled several Great Blue Herons along the way. Once I exited the bay, the water became very choppy from all of the boat activity. I continued to stay close to shore as I paddled west to the next bay. I could see the marina across the lake.
One of the Many Great Blue Herons I Saw
Heading Northwest 
Open Water, Choppy Waves  
Continuing Northwest 
I was hoping that I would have fewer boaters and more wildlife in the next bay. There were only a couple fishing boats in the bay and the water was calm. Unfortunately, there were two teenage boys playing along the water’s edge trying to be “cool” by seeing who could shout the loudest and use the most profanity in a sentence. I wanted to drown them both. This reminded me of how lucky I am for the two wonderful teenagers I have. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Michael and Anna! I decided to take baby duck's picture in the calm bay and named her Molly in honor of the six little Mallards.
Heading Into Bay Across Lake From the Marina 
Paddling South Into Bay
Continuing South Into Bay in Search of Peace
Baby Duck Molly 
I continued to paddle to the southern end of the bay where I came upon a downed tree across my path. I did the Limbo under it. Past the tree, I finally found my only peace and quiet of the day. Unfortunately, I quickly ran out of paddle room and had to turn back. Since, I knew that the boat ramp didn’t have any facilities I made a pit stop at the swimming beach on my way back. It would have been a nice day for a swim but I was tired from paddling the waves created by other boats. I decided that a hot shower and dinner sounded much better.     
Is It the End of the Paddle?
No, I Paddled Under the Tree and Kept Going
Peace and Quiet at Last
Pit Stop at the Beach Before Heading to Boat Ramp 
I have no plans to do a future paddle at Tappan Lake. It can not compete with nearby Piedmont and Clendening Lakes on beauty, peacefulness, and wildlife. If I were to go back I would put in at the far eastern tip of the lake and explore the marshland.

May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona

No comments:

Post a Comment