Monday, October 5, 2015

Salt Fork Lake: Amish Family Day


25 May 2015

Lake #34         Salt Fork Lake, Salt Fork State Park, Guernsey County

Heading to Salt Fork Lake, I was surprised by the number and size of hills in southeastern Ohio. Coming from flat Columbus, this was an unexpected plus for me. It turns out that the glaciers that flattened much of Ohio never made it to this area. I had made numerous trips along Interstate 70 over the years but had never ventured off the main road. Salt Fork Lake is located north of I-70 and east of I-77, northeast of Cambridge. Take Highway 22 east from Cambridge to reach the main park entrance. The drive to Salt Fork Lake was very picturesque and reminded me of the Hocking Hills region.

Salt Fork Lake was originally intended to be a reservoir for the city of Cambridge but it quickly evolved into a recreation area instead. In 1960, the state began acquiring land to create a state park. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources completed the lake's earthen dam in 1967 and construction of recreational facilities began shortly after. Salt Fork Lake at 2,952 acres is one of the largest lakes in Ohio. Salt Fork State Park at 20,542 acres is the largest state park in Ohio. Allegedly, Salt Fork is named for a salt well used by Native Americans, which was located near the southeastern corner of the park.


The park has the amenities you would expect for one of its size: a 148-room lodge, 54 cottages, a campground with 212 sites, a camp store, an 18-hole golf course, numerous picnic areas, hiking and bridle trails, two marinas, ten boat launching areas, and a 2,500-foot swimming beach with modern bathhouse. It also has the historic Kennedy Stone House, built in 1811, which has been fully restored and is open for tours. The stone house was constructed from large stone blocks quarried from the area and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Since Salt Fork Lake is not used for flood control or as a water source, the lake maintains stable water levels throughout the year. The lake averages a depth of 20 feet and boats with unlimited horsepower are permitted. For kayakers, the lake offers many shallow wooded creek arms and numerous inlets to explore. As it was Memorial Day, I chose not to put in at one of the designated boat launching areas but instead put in at the far northern tip of the lake off of County Road 851. There are no facilities here, just a parking lot. There was an Amish horse and buggy parked in the parking area. That was a first for me. I was curious to see what kind of boat they would have. It turns out that they didn’t have a boat; I later saw the family fishing from the bank. That would be the first of many Amish families I would see at the park that day. While Amish do not observe national holidays, like Memorial Day, in the same manner as their non-Amish neighbors, many Amish-owned businesses close their doors on national holidays. For the Amish, these national holidays are an opportunity for a family day.
Put In at CR 851 Bridge 
Amish Horse Enjoying a Morning at the Lake 
I Would Have a Hard Time Getting My Kayak to Stay on the Wagon  
My Transportation Mode Has a Bit More Storage
Instead of going under the road bridge first, like you would expect me to do, I headed south toward the main body of the lake. This was not because I had suddenly given up my “thing” for bridges but rather for safety reasons. While I was preparing to kayak, two guys with hunting bows put in and headed for the area north of the bridge. I decided that I did not want to risk becoming an accidental target.  It was a gray day and a bit choppy, there was a chance of thunderstorms later in the day. On my way south, I passed two men fishing from boats and the Amish family fishing from the bank. The arm of the put in is a no wake zone. I explored a finger off of the arm and chased down some Canadian Geese.
Heading South From Put In 
Wave Action, Possible Storm 
Western Finger Off the Arm 
Making My Own Fun, Chasing the Geese 
Heading South From the Finger 
Once out of the finger, the wave action really picked up. There were fewer boats out than I expected given that it was a holiday. I explored a small finger to the west of the arm. There is a boat launch ramp located near here off Park Road 11. After checking this area out, I headed back toward the arm. I saw a few turtles trying to soak up the limited sunshine. I had a rogue wave hit me and it took baby duck with it. I nearly made myself capsize trying to "rescue" him. 
Heading Out of No Wake Zone
Heading Into Another Finger 
Turtle Suntan Bed 
There were no cars in the parking area when I got back so I decided it was safe to go explore the area north of the bridge. I am so glad that I did. This was the best part of the day’s paddle. There were more turtles to see, Great Blue Herons, and evidence of beaver activity. It was a nice relaxing paddle after the waves of the more open areas of the lake. I decided it was a good place to take baby duck's picture. I christened him David Kennedy in honor of the builder of the beautiful stone house.
Heading North Under CR 851 Bridge 
Area North of Bridge, a Totally Different Experience 
Paddling North, Trailing Behind My Paddling Buddy 
More Turtles 
Baby Duck David Kennedy
After my paddle, I went to explore the huge park. There is a put in site on the arm east of the arm where I put in. It is where parking for the Stone House nature trail is located, off Park Road 1. It would require a bit of a walk but it is a nice, flat trail. I saw several birds at this location. If I were to go back to the lake this is where I would put in the next time. There were no facilities here either.
This is Where to Park for Put In
Trail to Lake 
Numerous Birds at the Put In 
It was time for lunch so I stopped at the picnic area located at the intersection of Park Road 1 and Park Road 51. There were restrooms here and a large trash bin but that was about it. Most of the picnic tables and grills were broken. It was a very depressing site. This brings up something I have seen a lot during my kayaking BHAG; our Ohio state parks are not being maintained.
But Humans Ok? 
The primitive campground was small and there was a lot of space between campsites. The regular campground was pretty standard and did not hold any appeal for me. The campground has its own boat ramp, swimming beach, and courtesy docks. The cottages are located on Park Road 3 over looking the lake. Cottage #50 has great views and more privacy than the other cottages. Cottage #20 is right on the water and you could put your kayak in there. The cottages also have their own boat ramp. The lodge is located nearby.
Campground Boat Ramp 
Cottage 50, More Privacy 
Cottage 20, Put In at Your Back Door
Boat Ramp for Cottages
Lodge
Before leaving the park, I checked out Sugartree Marina, the newer of the lake’s two marinas. Sugartree Marina is on the western portion of the lake and offers fuel and boat rentals. The lake’s other marina, Salt Fork, serves the eastern side of the lake.
Sugartree Marina 
Sugartree Marina Boat Launch Ramp 
The Salt Fork Wildlife Area borders the state park, adding to the beauty of the area. I paddled only a tiny portion of this immense lake. I foresee many future trips here, perhaps with an overnight stay at one of the cottages.    

May all your roads end in water,

Mama Duck Mona
            

No comments:

Post a Comment